Monday, November 3, 2008

Are you Hypnotizable?

I receive many calls from potential clients who think they cannot be hypnotized. They are actually under the impression that to be hypnotized means that one relinquishes mental control to another. In other words, some people think it is a test of will between the hypnotist and the client in a hypnosis session.

This is far from the truth. There are no mental wars or battles between hypnotherapist and client – at least there shouldn’t be anyway.

Some questions potential clients have are: Can I be hypnotized? How do you know if I can be hypnotized? Am I weak if I am hypnotized? What types of people are easily hypnotized?

These questions are asked as though hypnosis or trance is some mystical consciousness that only ‘weak minded’ people can be transformed to. ‘Strong minded’ individuals however, aren’t affected as they may think.

The answer I provide oftentimes surprises them. I tell them, ‘If you can sleep, you can be hypnotized.’ I usually get silence on the other end of the line when I say this to many callers. I go on to tell them that hypnosis is a state of consciousness between being awake and going to sleep. With my induction (The JOImethod), I attempt to get my clients as close to sleep as possible. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, it is very relaxing to the client when they ‘let go’ of their stress and whatever problems they are working on at the time and ‘doze off’ for an hour or so – it is like receiving a mental massage, a release of mental and emotional tension and pressure. Secondly, the closer I get the client to sleep (therefore moving the conscious mind out of the way), the easier it is to layer in their goals (that is, the programs I give to the client according to their specific request).

Would every client go to sleep while in session? No, they will not. I usually get about 98% of my clients into this level of trance. I cannot speak for other hypnotherapists. Even if the client doesn’t make it to this deep level, he or she is still deep enough to have the goals programmed in for success.

John
Clinical Hypnotherapist & Life Coach
Hypnosis & Self-Enhancement Books & CDs: http://www.hypnotizeanybody.com
Hypnotherapy Services: http://www.hypnotherapy4health.com
Joimethod: http://www.joimethod.com

No comments: